“UAMS is committed to improving health and health care in Arkansas, which includes developing new programs like our Center for Dental Education. Access to adequate dental care in Arkansas is a health care problem that has far-reaching effects on the health of Arkansans.“
– UAMS Chancellor,
Dan Rahn, MD
The Center for Dental Education (CDE) at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) has been established to improve the oral health of Arkansans and others who seek healthcare at UAMS through education, patient care, research and service.
The goals of the Center for Dental Education are:
- To educate culturally competent oral health professionals with outstanding knowledge and skill, an ethical bearing, integrity, sound judgment and a passion to serve.
- To serve as the regional educational foundation of lifelong learning for oral health professionals.
- To establish and enhance oral health services for underserved Arkansans through education and implementation or modification of community service partnerships and interprofessional collaborations.
- To foster an educational environment where creativity, collaboration, diversity and respect are embraced.
- To develop nationally recognized, multi-disciplinary educational programs and research aligned with the oral health needs in Arkansas and the nation.
- To guide future dental education in Arkansas through assimilation of information and projection of recommendations based on excellence, innovation and discovery.
The Center for Dental Education includes the UAMS Oral Health Clinic and future postgraduate programs for dentists in advanced general dentistry and oral surgery. The UAMS Oral Health Clinic is conveniently located in the Shorey Building adjacent to the UAMS Dental Hygiene Clinic.
The Center for Dental Education is currently working to secure accreditation from the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) for a general practice residency (GPR) at UAMS. The three-phase clinic expansion will be complete before residents are accepted and will include 17 treatment rooms.